What is Mayagwe?
Experience tells us that there are two growing challenges in providing all types of services where language may be a barrier:
- Service providers have no way of accessing trained interpreters in their local areas, efficiently or in a timely manner.
- Trained interpreters looking for employment opportunities have no efficient way of knowing what job opportunities are available.
Mayagwe is the made-in-Canada solution dedicated to bridging these gaps. It is a mobile device application that allows public-serving agencies and others to directly access a database of professional language interpreters in their area – 24/7, 365 days a year – who can provide face-to-face interpretation services, either immediately or at a scheduled date/time.
Benefits for Participating Interpreters
- Provides fairness and equal access to job opportunities.
- Provides employment opportunities with maximum flexibility for participation.
- Provides business experience as independent business operators.
- Provides connection and understanding of social serving agencies, reducing any stigma which may exist about the roles of these agencies.
- Eliminating favouritism or cronyism in offering employment opportunities to a selected few.
- Recognizes interpretation as a professional service.
- Quick direct payment for service.
Benefits for Client Agencies
- Direct access to trained interpreters.
- Maximum flexibility in scheduling, from immediate requests to long-term scheduling.
- Ability to set criteria for interpreters unique to each organization.
- Ability to customize interpreter requests.
- Assurance of accreditation standards.
- Cost-effectiveness by only paying for services provided.
- Providing connection to people in the communities they serve.
- Reducing risk of miscommunication and improper service.
- Demonstrating commitment to inclusiveness.